With over 41 years of experience in both LNG and natural gas, John Hattenberger brings valuable commercial insight and direction to each of our clients. During the course of his career, John has been involved in the initiation, development, negotiation and closing of a large number of business opportunities, transactions, and projects in LNG and natural gas, in every region of the world.
John has held a number of commercial positions of increasing responsibility in major energy companies, including Gazprom, BP, El Paso, TransCanada, and Marathon.
His major strengths are in business development, major project development, marketing and trading, and structuring and negotiation of commercial transactions. He has extensive experience in initiating, structuring, negotiating and closing commercial agreements all along the natural gas value chain, including upstream production, pipeline transportation, liquefaction, shipping, regasification, and marketing and trading of both LNG and natural gas. A sampling of the commercial deals he has concluded over the course of his career:
– Negotiated and closed various LNG sales and purchase agreements (SPAs), both spot and long term.
– Negotiated and closed various liquefaction tolling services agreements (LTSAs)
– Led commercial development of several LNG export projects and LNG regasification import projects
– Negotiated and closed various LNG shipping time charters
– Started up and managed global LNG marketing and trading businesses in London and Houston
– Started up and managed a natural gas marketing and trading business in North America
– Negotiated and closed major natural gas supply and sales agreements in various countries
– Provided commercial advice to governments in development of new LNG export projects
– Managed and led multi-functional project teams in development of complex energy projects
– Developed and re-vamped LNG strategies for major energy firms